Project

General

Profile

Actions

Documentation #1691

open

Docs: Convert windows docs

Added by Peter Manev over 5 years ago. Updated almost 2 years ago.

Status:
New
Priority:
Normal
Assignee:
Target version:
Affected Versions:
Effort:
Difficulty:
Label:

Description

An updated Windows pdf is located here -
https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/attachments/download/1166/SuricataWinInstallationGuide_v1.4.2.pdf

Jason - can you please let me know what do you need me to help out with or what would be the best approach.

Actions #1

Updated by Peter Manev over 5 years ago

  • Subject changed from Docs: Conevrt windows docs to Docs: Convert windows docs
Actions #2

Updated by Jason Ish over 5 years ago

Should the windows installation guide be on the Wiki like the other install guides?

If not, Sphinx is probably ideal for writing this. Whats the source format? The process will likely be something along the lines of cutting and pasting it into your favourite text editor then going through and adding the markup and image links.

This page is a good example of one that embds lots of images:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jasonish/suricata/sphinx-docs/doc/sphinx/rules/http-keywords.rst

Actions #3

Updated by Peter Manev over 5 years ago

Yeah - I was thinking both - wiki alongside the rest of the guides (which i can add in) and the new format that you are working on.
So I guess if I add it in the wiki - after that I would need to do a pull req against the repo right or?

Actions #4

Updated by Jason Ish over 5 years ago

Peter Manev wrote:

Yeah - I was thinking both - wiki alongside the rest of the guides (which i can add in) and the new format that you are working on.
So I guess if I add it in the wiki - after that I would need to do a pull req against the repo right or?

But then we'd be maintaining the guides in 2 different formats. Do we really want to do that?

Actions #5

Updated by Peter Manev over 5 years ago

No - we dont want that - extra admin effort in keeping those in sync.
In that case - Sphinx is the way to go I suppose?

Actions #6

Updated by Victor Julien over 5 years ago

Yup, especially since sphinx can do pdf output.

Actions #7

Updated by Jason Ish over 5 years ago

Victor Julien wrote:

Yup, especially since sphinx can do pdf output.

Yes, Sphinx would be ideal.

But keep in mind, all the other install documentation is remaining on the wiki, at least for now. Main reason being is that it depends on factors external to Suricata (the target OS in question) and maybe should not be snapshotted to a specific Suricata version, but be more live.

I'm going to keep my eye out for other project install docs, and see what they do. Its much nicer to write in Sphinx/rEst IMO.

Actions #8

Updated by Victor Julien over 5 years ago

Windows, esp specific versions, should be quite stable. Much like the CentOS/Ubuntu LTS ones, right?

Actions #9

Updated by Jason Ish over 5 years ago

Yes, I expect so. Sometimes things change. For instance, EPEL gained the necessary libnetfilter_queue packages for CentOS 6 some time ago, so we were able to add that to the default install docs which we weren't able to do when CentOS 6 was still fairly new. Of course, this would not have broke existing docs.

Actions #10

Updated by Peter Manev over 5 years ago

  • Assignee set to Peter Manev

Victor Julien wrote:

Windows, esp specific versions, should be quite stable. Much like the CentOS/Ubuntu LTS ones, right?

Yes. (though - it is mainly Cygwin dependent in terms of new pkgs/features.)

Ok - so we move ahead with the Sphinx approach, keep updating there, export to pdf and upload the document wherever needed in order to keep the Win guide up to date.
Agreed ?

Actions #11

Updated by Jason Ish over 5 years ago

Peter Manev wrote:

Victor Julien wrote:

Windows, esp specific versions, should be quite stable. Much like the CentOS/Ubuntu LTS ones, right?

Yes. (though - it is mainly Cygwin dependent in terms of new pkgs/features.)

Ok - so we move ahead with the Sphinx approach, keep updating there, export to pdf and upload the document wherever needed in order to keep the Win guide up to date.
Agreed ?

Sure, sounds good to me.

Actions #12

Updated by Victor Julien over 2 years ago

  • Target version changed from Documentation to TBD
Actions #13

Updated by Andreas Herz almost 2 years ago

  • Tracker changed from Feature to Documentation
Actions

Also available in: Atom PDF